Cherry Tomato Salad with olives
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup unpitted olives, any kind (i use both green and black)
- red wine vinegar
- freshly ground black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 handful of torn basil leaves
- 1 handful of torn arugula leaves (as no one in my family cares for arugula, i substitute toasted pine nuts)
How to Make Cherry Tomato Salad with olives
- 1In serving bowl, squash cherry tomatoes with one hand while holding the other over them so they don’t splatter all over everything (I just cut mine in half). Put olives on cutting board and gently smash them with a rolling pin, a cup or even your thumb. Remove pits and add olives to the salad bowl. (Sometimes I get lazy and buy the sliced ones in a can. Not authentic, but easier)
Drizzle in a little vinegar and grind some pepper on top. Add oil and toss. Just before serving, “rip in” the basil and arugula and toss well.
- 2You can use different colored cherry tomatoes, green, yellow striped, whatever you can find. You can use pitted olives, but you won’t have fun squishing out the pits. And pitted olives have lost some of their flavor.