Carrot and apple salad
2 large carrots made about 4 cups of shredded carrots.
My mom use to make a carrot/raisin salad. I had a recipe stashed away, that I could make it later.
Well, after I made this, I found out that my dear husband does not like carrot salad..I even left out the raisins and other items because he absolutely will not eat a raisin.
Needless to say I had to eat most of this huge bowl of carrot salad..And it was mighty good!
Original recipe was from a Safeway flyer.
- 3 to 4
- large raw carrots, shredded (about 4 cups)
- 1 c
- chopped walnuts (nuts of your choice)
- 1 large
- apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/8 c
- shredded coconut (option)
- 1 c
- raisins (option)
- pineapple, chunks ( to taste) option
- 1/4 c
- finely chopped celery (option)
- 1/2 c
- 2 Tbsp
- sour cream
- 1 Tbsp
- apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp
- granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp
- salt, to taste
How to Make Carrot and apple salad
- 2In a large bowl, add the shredded carrots, apple chunks, walnuts, and any options that you want to add to this salad..
- 3In another small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, sugar and salt. Take a taste. If it is to your liking..you are ready to stir this dressing into your carrot mixture.
I mixed this dressing with my hands so that I incorporated the dressing mix to cover all the pieces..Make sure that the apples are covered with dressing or they may turn color.
- 4Chill for a few hours..(the original recipe said not to make it the day before...but I saw no difference as it took a few days to eat.)
I also added some left over pineapple chunks to my salad and almost opened another large can, but refrained, as I did not want any more leftover pineapple.
Enjoy with your dinner or as a snack for lunch.