Caprese Salad with Balsamic Vinegar Reduction
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 pkgfresh mozzarella cheese
·olive oil, extra virgin
1 bunchbasil, fresh
1 cbalsamic vinegar
1 mediumcucumber slices, thinly sliced (optional)
How to Make Caprese Salad with Balsamic Vinegar Reduction
- Wash tomatoes and dry. Slice tomatoes and set aside. Wash fresh basil and dry and set aside.
- Drain liquid from fresh mozzarella. Slice mozzarella into 4 pieces and set aside.
- In a small saucepan combine vinegar and honey over high heat. Watch this very closely as it will boil over easily. Continue to monitor until it starts to thicken slightly. The timing will vary but this should take approximately 15-20 minutes. (Don't turn your back or you will have a very sticky stovetop mess.) Remove from heat to cool slightly.
- While vinegar reduction is cooling begin to assemble your salad. On each salad plate place one tomato slice followed by a slice of fresh mozzarella then another tomato slice. Arrange fresh basil on top of the tomato decoratively. Let the artist in you come out.
- Lightly sprinkle top with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil. Then decoratively drizzle balsamic vinegar reduction over the salad and around the plate.
- I love vegetables so I place some thinly sliced cucumber slices around the edge of the plate as well. This is optional but it adds a little more color and texture to your salad. You could use any other of your favorite vegetable(s) as well. Place on your beautifully decorated table and enjoy.