- 1/4 cup powdered buttermilk
- 3 tbsp. dried minced onion
- 3tbsp. dried minced parsley
- 1 tbsp. dried minced chives
- 1 t. salt
- 1/2 t. garlic powder
- 1/2 t. ground celery seed
- 1/2 t. ground black pepper
- note: buttermilk powder is carried in most supermarkets, usually alongside nonfat dry milk or with baking supplies.
How to Make Buttermilk Dressing Mix
- 1In bowl or jar, mix onion, parsley, chives, salt, garlic powder, celery seed, and pepper. Mix well. Store, tightly covered until ready to use. Makes about 3/4 cup of mix, enough to make eight cups of dressing
- 2To Make Dressing:
1 1/2 Tbsp. buttermilk dressing mix,shaken well
1/2 cup milk or water
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 t. fresh lemon juice (optional)
- 3Shake buttermilk dressing mix to blend well. Mix the dry mix with milk or water (milk will make a richer dressing, water, a lighter one) and mayonnaise.
- 4If desired, blend 1/2 t. lemon juice into the mixture. Makes 1 cup dressing. Note: For a bacon flavored buttermilk dressing mix, add 1 T. of commercially precooked and crumbled bacon to the buttermilk dressing mix above. If you make the mix without adding buttermilk powder, reconstitute using a half cup of whole buttermilk blended with a half cup of mayonnaise.
Makes 3/4 cup mix