Mandarin cream salad with coconut crumb crust
- 2 cups finely crushed shortbread cookies, about 35 cookies
- 2/3 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- two packages orange flavored gelatin, 3 ounces each
- 2 cups boiling water
- one package cream cheese, softened, 8 ounces
- 3/4 cup sugar
- one container frozen whipped dessert topping, thawed, 8 ounces
- two cans mandarin orange sections, drained, 11 ounces each
How to Make Mandarin cream salad with coconut crumb crust
- 1preheat oven to 375°. In medium bowl stir together crush cookies, coconut, melted butter, and orange peel until mixed. Pat mixture evenly into the bottom of a 3 quart rectangle or baking dish. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 2In medium bowl, stir together gelatin and boiling water until gelatin dissolves. Cool completely at room temperature. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese and sugar with electric mixer on medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- 3. Fold in whipped topping. Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over cooled crust. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
Stir orange sections into gelatin mixture. Carefully pour orange mixture over chilled cream cheese layer. Cover and chill about three hours or until firm. Salad may be chill for up to 24 hours. To serve, cut into squares. Makes 18 servings.