Festive Tomato Aspic
At the holidays, when salad greens are sometimes not at their best, this tasty salad offers up crisp veggies built into a tangy french-dressing flavored aspic. Cool and zippy, this fits in perfectly with any special meal. We always serve it up at Thanksgiving or Christmas ... sometimes both!
3 ozlemon gelatin (small box)
2/3 cboiling water
8 oztomato sauce (small can)
1 Tbspapple cider vinegar
1/4 tsptabasco sauce
·salt & pepper to taste
1/2 cfinely diced celery
1/2 cfinely diced cucumber
1/2 cfinely diced green bell pepper
1/2 cfinely diced radishes
2 Tbspfinely diced green onions (about 2 onions)
How to Make Festive Tomato Aspic
- In a medium bowl (or other suitable container), dissolve the lemon gelatin in the 2/3 cup boiling water per package directions. Stir in the tomato sauce, vinegar and Tabasco. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Put this mixture into the refrigerator for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until the gelatin is thickened but not set.
- While the gelatin/tomato mixture is chilling, wash and dice all of the veggies.
- Fold the diced veggies into the thickened gelatin, stirring gently to distribute evenly. At this time, you can transfer everything into a decorative mold if desired. Cover and refrigerate until firmly set.
- OPTIONAL: Unmold onto a lettuce-lined plate right before serving. Decorate with small dollops of mayonnaise if desired.