Dot Luke's Hawaiian Jellied Salad
·2 pkg, lime gelatin, 3 oz. each
·1 cup pineapple juice, heated
·juice of 2 limes
·juice of 1 orange
·1 cup canned pineapple chunks, drained and diced
·1 can mandarin orange slices, drained, 11 oz
·6 oz. cream cheese, softened
·1 cup heavy cream, whipped
·1/2 cup mayonnaise, or fruited mayonnaise, recipe follows
·1 cup mini marshmallows
·1/2 cup toasted pecans, chopped
·iceberg lettuce, shredded for serving
How to Make Dot Luke's Hawaiian Jellied Salad
- Coat a 10 cup mold with vegetable spray.
- Dissolve gelatin in hot pineapple juice in a 2 cup measure. Add lime juice, orange juice, and enough water to equal 2 cups of liquid. Pour gelatin into a bowl, stir well, cover and chill until nearly firm.
- Lightly whisk chilled gelatin mixture. Fold in pineapple chunks, orange slices, cream cheese, whipped cream, mayonnaise, mini marshmallows and pecans. Pour into prepared mold and chill 3 to 4 hours or til firm.
- To release, dip bottom of mold in bowl of hot water for a few seconds. Invert a plate on top of mold, then turn plate and mold over. Salad should unmold easily. Arrange lettuce on individual salad plates and place slice of jellied salad on top.
- Fruited Mayonnaise:
2 large eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup orange juice
1 tsp. orange zest
2 Tbsp. white vinegar
3 Tbsp. water
1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped
- Whisk eggs in a bowl til lightened. Gradually whisk in sugar and set aside.
Mix pineapple juice, orange juice, orange zest, vinegar and water in top of double boiler. Bring about 1 inch of water to a simmer in bottom of double boiler. Set top of double boiler on bottom and cook, stirring with wooden spoon til heated through. Add small amount of hot liquid to eggs and whisk briskly to temper. Return egg mixture to hot juice and continue to cook, stirring til mixture thickens and coats back of spoon, about 2 minutes more.
Remove mayonnaise to another nonreactive container and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Place plastic wrap on surface of mayonnaise and refrigerate. Fold in whipped cream just before serving. Store mayonnaise in covered container in refrigerator. Leftover mayonnaise may deflate slightly.
This mayonnaise is light and fruity, and the addition of whipped cream at the end makes it soft and cloudlike.