Strawberry Gouda Pecan Salad
- large head of romaine lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 lb
- gouda cheese, sliced and cut into thin, bite-sized pieces pieces
- 3 c
- strawberries, hulled, sliced 1/8
- 1 c
- toasted, caramelized pecans, lightly chopped (see below for caramelizing technique)
- 1 small
- cucumber, sliced very thinly
- 1/2 c
- strawberry preserves or seedless strawberry jam
- 1 c
- vegetable oil
- 1 clove
- garlic, pressed
- 1/2 c
- strawberry or raspberry vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
How to Make Strawberry Gouda Pecan Salad
- 1Rinse lettuce. Drain well and dry, and tear into bite-sized pieces. Arrange lettuce on a chilled platter.
- 2Slice and cut the Gouda into bite-sized pieces. Arrange on top of bed of romaine lettuce.
- 3Slice strawberries with an egg slicer, and arrange in between the pieces of cheese.
- 4Slice cucumber into VERY thin slices. Slit each cucumber slice from center to outer edge, one time. Make a cucumber twist by giving the slice a twist at the "opening" of the cucumber at the slice, and arrange on top of the lettuce bed with the strawberries and Gouda.
- 5Toast the pecans in an 8" saute pan, with 2 - 3 tbsp. sugar,for about 5 minutes, until the sugar caramelizes and the pecans have a nice roasted color. Don't add any fluid ... just let the sugar caramelize the pecans. Let pecans cool, then give them a 'rough chop', leaving in rather large, coarse pieces. Use a food chopper or large sharp knife for this. Set aside for the moment.
- 6For dressing, use a whisk to mix jam, oil, pressed garlic clove, vinegar and salt and pepper in large glass measuring cup. Drizzle over the salad. Sprinkle pecans over the top of all.
- 7Serve right away, with extra vinaigrette on the side for those who might prefer more.