Strawberry Gouda Pecan Salad
1large head of romaine lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
1 lbgouda cheese, sliced and cut into thin, bite-sized pieces pieces
3 cstrawberries, hulled, sliced 1/8
1 ctoasted, caramelized pecans, lightly chopped (see below for caramelizing technique)
1 smallcucumber, sliced very thinly
1/2 cstrawberry preserves or seedless strawberry jam
1 cvegetable oil
1 clovegarlic, pressed
1/2 cstrawberry or raspberry vinegar
·salt and pepper, to taste
How to Make Strawberry Gouda Pecan Salad
- Rinse lettuce. Drain well and dry, and tear into bite-sized pieces. Arrange lettuce on a chilled platter.
- Slice and cut the Gouda into bite-sized pieces. Arrange on top of bed of romaine lettuce.
- Slice strawberries with an egg slicer, and arrange in between the pieces of cheese.
- Slice cucumber into VERY thin slices. Slit each cucumber slice from center to outer edge, one time. Make a cucumber twist by giving the slice a twist at the "opening" of the cucumber at the slice, and arrange on top of the lettuce bed with the strawberries and Gouda.
- Toast the pecans in an 8" saute pan, with 2 - 3 tbsp. sugar,for about 5 minutes, until the sugar caramelizes and the pecans have a nice roasted color. Don't add any fluid ... just let the sugar caramelize the pecans. Let pecans cool, then give them a 'rough chop', leaving in rather large, coarse pieces. Use a food chopper or large sharp knife for this. Set aside for the moment.
- For dressing, use a whisk to mix jam, oil, pressed garlic clove, vinegar and salt and pepper in large glass measuring cup. Drizzle over the salad. Sprinkle pecans over the top of all.
- Serve right away, with extra vinaigrette on the side for those who might prefer more.