- two packages applewood smoked bacon, 12 ounces each
- garlicky focaccia croutons, recipe follows
- 4 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- six medium red and/or yellow heirloom tomatoes, cored, quartered and sliced 1/2 inch thick, 3 cups
- dill avocado dressing, recipe follows
How to Make Layered California style BLT salad
- 1in a very large skillet cook bacon in batches over medium heat until crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels; when cool, coarsely crumble or chop bacon. Set aside.
- 2In the bottom of a 3 to 4 quart glass bowl arrange half of the garlicky focaccia croutons top with half of the romaine and half of the spinach. Top with half of the tomato slices and half of the bacon.
- 3Spread half of the dill avocado dressing over the bacon, sealing dressing to the edge of the bowl. Repeat layers, ending with the dressing. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Chill for up to eight hours. Makes 12 servings.
- 4Garlicky focaccia croutons: preheat oven to 300°. In a large bowl combine 3 cups of 1/2 inch cubes garlic focaccia and 2 tablespoons olive oil; toss to coat spread bread cubes evenly in a 15 x 10" baking pan. Bake about 20 minutes or until cubes are crisp, stirring one; cool. If desired, store croutons in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days.
- 5Dill avocado dressing: in a blender or food processor mix one ripe avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and mashed, about 1 cup; 1/2 cup mayonnaise; 1/2 cup sour cream; 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice; 3 tablespoon snipped fresh dill; 1/4 cup milk; 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt; and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper. Cover and blend or process until smooth.