Hearts of Romaine Salad with Apple, Red Onion, and
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
For an especially elegant presentation, this salad can be arranged on individual plates instead of one large platter. When trimming the base of the romaine hearts, be sure to leave a small part of each base attached to hold the leaves together.
From Bon Appetit, November 2001.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 1 1/4 c
- vegetable oil
- 1/3 c
- cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp
- frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 Tbsp
- red onion, minced
- 1 3/4 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp
- ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp
- 1 c
- red onion, thinly sliced
- gala apples, peeled, cored, 1/4-inch dice
- hearts of romaine
- 3/4 c
- pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
How to Make Hearts of Romaine Salad with Apple, Red Onion, and
- 1Whisk first 8 ingredients in small bowl for dressing. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Refrigerate. Re-whisk before using.)
- 2Place sliced onion in medium bowl.
- 3Cover with cold water; let stand 30 minutes.
- 4Drain well.
- 5Place 1/3 cup dressing in another medium bowl. Add apples; toss to coat.
- 6Trim off tips of romaine halves, leaving 5-inch lengths.
- 7Cut each romaine half lengthwise into 3 wedges. Fan wedges on large platter.
- 8Top with red onion slices.
- 9Drizzle salad with dressing, then sprinkle with apples and pecans.