Hearts of Romaine Salad with Apple, Red Onion, and
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
For an especially elegant presentation, this salad can be arranged on individual plates instead of one large platter. When trimming the base of the romaine hearts, be sure to leave a small part of each base attached to hold the leaves together.
From Bon Appetit, November 2001.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 1/4 cvegetable oil
1/3 ccider vinegar
3 Tbspfrozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
2 Tbspred onion, minced
1 3/4 tspsalt
1/2 tspground nutmeg
1/2 tspground ginger
1 cred onion, thinly sliced
2gala apples, peeled, cored, 1/4-inch dice
5hearts of romaine
3/4 cpecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
How to Make Hearts of Romaine Salad with Apple, Red Onion, and
- Whisk first 8 ingredients in small bowl for dressing. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Refrigerate. Re-whisk before using.)
- Place sliced onion in medium bowl.
- Cover with cold water; let stand 30 minutes.
- Drain well.
- Place 1/3 cup dressing in another medium bowl. Add apples; toss to coat.
- Trim off tips of romaine halves, leaving 5-inch lengths.
- Cut each romaine half lengthwise into 3 wedges. Fan wedges on large platter.
- Top with red onion slices.
- Drizzle salad with dressing, then sprinkle with apples and pecans.