Classic Greek Salad
And it's not a Greek Salad without the Anchovy -- Say's I !! And to the naysayers and those turning up their nose -- I say "Just Deal With It". And as you tell the youngsters "Try It You'll Like It".
It's a Taste Tempter.
- lettuce leaves
- endive or escarole (same thing) (optional)
- kalamata olives or mediterranean mix
- whole pepperoncini peppers
- tomato sliced or cherry
- sliced onion yellow, white or red
- sliced cucumber (optional)
- feta cheese cake form -- slice and cube
- anchovy filetts
- oil and vineger of choice or a good italian dressing (see note)
How to Make Classic Greek Salad
- 1I didn't list quantities because you can make this for one or a crowd.
- 2Tear the lettuce leaves. Ditto the Endive if using, un-jar the Olives and Pepperoncini Peppers. Slice the tomatoes, onions and cucumber. Slice and cube the Feta Cheese.
- 3Add Anchovy fillets. If for one -- Arrange Artfully. If for a crowd, mix gently. Plate up and add Salad Dressing of choice. Note: My two preferences for dressing.
- 4Serve with Crackers, Bread Sticks or sliced French or Italian Bread. To keep it in the family you could serve with warm Pita Bread lightly buttered.
- 5Note: The marinade I use for my "Greek Steak", which see, is an excellent dressing for this and is my choice. With a little added vinegar, your choice.
- 6Hint: I reserve the remaining Anchovies for Pizza or my "Bagna Cauda", which see. The Greeks aren't the only ones that tolerate Anchovies.