This didn't fail to please! According to him I am allowed to keep this one near the front of the recipe box!
This recipe made enough that I was able to send him to work this morning with a healthy lunch! YAY!
Original recipe from a Better Homes and Gardens specialty magazine.
- 4 c
- fresh baby spinach
- 2 c
- fresh strawberries, tops cut off and sliced
- 1/2 c
- fresh blueberries
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 c
- chopped walnuts or sliced almonds
- 1 oz
- crumbled goat cheese
- ground black pepper
- peeled, pitted and sliced avocado (optional)
- 1/3 c
- raspberry vinegar
- 2 Tbsp
- snipped fresh mint
- 2 Tbsp
- 1/4 tsp
How to Make Superfood Salad
- 1Prepare vinaigrette by combining all ingredients for it in a mason jar or other container that can be sealed. Shake well and put in the fridge until ready to serve.
- 2Cook chicken and slice into 1 1/2 inch strips or bites. It was too cold to use the outdoor grill, so I just baked them with a drizzle of olive oil.
Rinse spinach and fruit and pat dry.
- 3In a large bowl, toss together spinach, strawberries, blueberries, walnuts and cheese.
Plate and top with 1/2 one of the cooked chicken breasts, a sprinkle of black pepper and drizzle with vinaigrette. Serve 1/4 of the avocado on side of plate (if desired)
There is enough to serve as a whole meal for 2-4 or a side salad for 5-8.
- 4Note: I didn't have any fresh fruit, so I raided my freezer of what I stocked this past season.
When I made this I used thawed strawberries and blueberries and it was great. I just recommend letting them thaw to room temperature if you do use frozen fruit.
- 5Nutritional Information (based on 2 cup servings)
12g total fat (2g saturated fat)