This didn't fail to please! According to him I am allowed to keep this one near the front of the recipe box!
This recipe made enough that I was able to send him to work this morning with a healthy lunch! YAY!
Original recipe from a Better Homes and Gardens specialty magazine.
4 cfresh baby spinach
2 cfresh strawberries, tops cut off and sliced
1/2 cfresh blueberries
2boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cchopped walnuts or sliced almonds
1 ozcrumbled goat cheese
dash(es)ground black pepper
1peeled, pitted and sliced avocado (optional)
1/3 craspberry vinegar
2 Tbspsnipped fresh mint
How to Make Superfood Salad
- Prepare vinaigrette by combining all ingredients for it in a mason jar or other container that can be sealed. Shake well and put in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Cook chicken and slice into 1 1/2 inch strips or bites. It was too cold to use the outdoor grill, so I just baked them with a drizzle of olive oil.
Rinse spinach and fruit and pat dry.
- In a large bowl, toss together spinach, strawberries, blueberries, walnuts and cheese.
Plate and top with 1/2 one of the cooked chicken breasts, a sprinkle of black pepper and drizzle with vinaigrette. Serve 1/4 of the avocado on side of plate (if desired)
There is enough to serve as a whole meal for 2-4 or a side salad for 5-8.
- Note: I didn't have any fresh fruit, so I raided my freezer of what I stocked this past season.
When I made this I used thawed strawberries and blueberries and it was great. I just recommend letting them thaw to room temperature if you do use frozen fruit.
- Nutritional Information (based on 2 cup servings)
12g total fat (2g saturated fat)