Salad with Prosciutto, Caramelized Pears, & Walnuts
The vinaigrette makes a wonderful marinade for grilled chicken and pork.
Granny Smith apple's work well as a substitute for the pears.
Add a finishing touch by sprinkling some crumbled blue cheese or gorganzola on the salad.
2 corange juice
2 Tbspred wine vinegar
2 Tbspred onion, finely chopped
1 Tbspwhite sugar
1 Tbspdry white wine
·salt, to taste
·fresh ground black pepper, to taste
3/4 colive oil, extra virgin
1 Tbspsalted butter
2green anjou pears, peeled, cored, and cut into wedges
1 cwalnut halves
1/2 cwhite sugar
1/4 lbprosciutto, cut into thin strips
2romaine lettuce hearts, rinsed and torn
How to Make Salad with Prosciutto, Caramelized Pears, & Walnuts
- Heat the orange juice over medium-high heat in a medium saucepan, whisking often, until it is reduced by 1/4.
- Add to blender, along with the vinegar, onion, 1 cup sugar, wine, salt, and pepper. Process until smooth.
- Then, while blending on a low speed, slowly drizzle in the extra virgin olive oil to thicken the dressing.
- Chill until ready to use.
- Melt the salted butter in a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Saute the pears and nuts in butter for 3 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar and water and cook, stirring constantly, until golden brown and caramelized.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Combine the prosciutto, lettuce and the pear and walnut mixture in a medium bowl.
- Add the pre-made vinaigrette and toss to coat.