Quick & Easy Mandarin Orange Jello Salad
- 24 oz carton cottage cheese (i use small curd)
- 3 oz boxes orange-flavored gelatin (or one large box)
- 4 oz
- whipped topping (half an 8 oz tub)
- small cans mandarin orange slices in light syrup, drained (or 1 large can, drained)
How to Make Quick & Easy Mandarin Orange Jello Salad
- 1In a large bowl, thoroughly combine the cottage cheese with the Jello. Mixture will be a little grainy due to undissolved sugar (you can stir it until it dissolves, but I never do and it comes out fine - sugar will usually dissolve during refrigeration, but if it doesn't, it's no big deal).
- 2Fold in the whipped topping until evenly incorporated. Don't get too vigorous with this as it's possible to stir out all the loft in the topping.
- 3Make sure the oranges are well drained (if you're frugal you can use the juice to flavor/sweeten something else). OPTIONAL - Reserve several orange sections for decoration - (I usually pull out 16 well-formed slices). Next, gently stir the remaining fruit into the Jello mixture until well distributed. Remember, don't over-do it or you'll lose too much loft from the whipped topping and the dish will be runny.
- 4Transfer mixture to serving dish, smooth top and (OPTIONAL) arrange reserved orange sections in attractive design (I put a slice at each of the clock numbers, all facing the same direction, plus a "flower" of 4 in the center, usually facing the opposite direction from the numbered slices). Cover; refrigerate. Serve cold.
This can easily be made lower calorie or diabetic friendly by choosing dietetic options for the ingredients. Be forewarned, however, if you use a dietetic product for every option, you will probably be disappointed in the flavor.
If you want more of a Dreamsicle flavor, you can add half a teaspoon of vanilla extract.