Lime-Pear Salad - Mom's recipe
Sometimes the color makes it more appealing, and it also makes it festive for a holiday meal.
I remember her making this, but when I tried it, I changed things. It is better with lots of lime flavor, and since I like things "tart" I added fresh lime juice, you can add bottled lime juice. There is also a bit of Lime Jello, and food coloring in the first half of the process. Pretty enough for a Christmas buffet!
- 2 can(s)
- pear halves, (using one can drained and mashed),reserve liquid .
- 1 tsp
- plain gelatin in 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 c
- lime juice,add to juice enough to make one cup.
- 1 pkg
- 8 oz. cream cheese mashed
- 1 Tbsp
- simple syrup, more if taste isn't sweet enough.
- 1 pkg
- 3 oz. size, jello, lime flavored
- 1 c
- boiling water
- 1 c
- cool whip
- 1 small
- jar, marashino cherries*optional
How to Make Lime-Pear Salad - Mom's recipe
- 1Boil water and pear juice, enough to make one cup.
Stir 1 packet gelatin with a little cold water, stir in lime juice,then add the warm juice and the mashed pears add one or two Tbs. simple syrup, and stir in softened cream cheese, and whip together well.Optional: add four drops of green food coloring. Chill until thickened.
- 2In another bowl combine 1 cup boiling hot water and Lime Jello and stir well, let cool, and then add 8 oz. of Cool Whip. Chill until thickened.
- 3Prepare a mold by spraying with oil; I used a bundt pan. Place slices of the second can of pears in the bottom, spoon the first mixture of Pears/juice/cream cheese into the mold. Then add the final layer of Lime Jello/Cool Whip and cover tightly with foil and chill overnight. If making early in the a.m. it should be fine by evening.
- 4Turn the mold upside down over a serving platter, and tap gently to loosen gelatin. Decorate with marashino cherries if desired. It's great for dessert or on lettuce as a salad.