Grandma's Banana - Pineapple Coleslaw
This is an unusual and very tasty salad! When my dear grandmother made this for our big family... there was never any leftovers!
It is a pretty colorful salad that you can be proud to serve... and you can expect many compliments and people asking for the recipe!
*** If you are making this for a small family, just cut the recipe down...
- 7 - 9 c
- cabbage (shredded or chopped fine)
- 1 can(s)
- pineapple (crushed, including juice)
- 1 small
- can mandarin oranges (chopped with juice)
- 1 Tbsp
- lemon juice
- 3/4 c
- 2/3 c
- brown sugar
- 1/2 c
- frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 small
- cool whip
- bananas (chopped and tossed with pineapple and oranges)
- each: red and green bell pepers (diced)
How to Make Grandma's Banana - Pineapple Coleslaw
- 1Shred or chop the cabbage, put in large bowl or pan for mixing salad together. Set aside.
- 2put pineapple and chopped Mandarin oranges in a bowl (including juices). Add frozen orange juice, mayonnaise and brown sugar. Stir well until a nice sauce is made. Fold in the Cool Whip. Chop up the bananas and toss around in the fruits and juices (this helps meld flavors and prevent bananas from browning)
- 3Add the cabbage and red and green bell peppers. Stir and toss together until mixed well.
Put in a nice serving container. Cover. Refrigerate at least 20 minutes. Just before serving: stir and toss salad to give it a fresh mixed look. Serve family style or in little dishes.
*** You can garnish with maraschino cherries and Mandarin oranges if desired.