- 4 whole chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup diagonally sliced green onions
- 1 cup water chestnuts, sliced
- 1 cup sesame seeds, lightly toasted
- 1 lb. chinese pea pods, trimmed and cut julienne
- dijon sherry dressing, recipe follows
- salt and pepper
How to Make Chinese Chicken Salad (From Le Grand Buffet, Los A
- 1Poach chicken breasts in chicken broth over medium heat 20 minutes or til done. Let cool in broth. Remove from broth, remove skin and bones from breasts and cut meat into 1/4 inch strips.
- 2Crisp green onions in bowl of ice water. Mix chicken, water chestnuts, sesame seeds, pea pods and green onions in large bowl. Toss with as much Dijon sherry dressing as desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 3Dijon Sherry Dressing:
1 piece gingerroot, 1/2 inch, peeled
1/4 cup dry sherry
2 egg yolks
2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 tsp. sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup peanut or sesame oil
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
Salt and pepper
Marinate gingerroot in sherry several hours or overnight. Beat egg yolks with mustard. Add sugar and lemon juice. Stir to dissolve. Mix oils. Add oils in thin stream to yolk mixture, stirring constantly til thickened and smooth. Remove gingerroot from sherry and add sherry to yolk mixture with soy sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Le Grand Buffet is in Beverly Hills, not in Los Angeles.
My Old Recipes