Cathie's Toasted Pecan Chicken Salad
4 to 5chicken breast (i prefer bone-in skin on-keeps chicken more moist)
1 1/2 cpecans-chopped finely
1 to 1.5 cmayonnaise (not fat free or low fat-i use dukes*)
2 to 2 1/2 tspsalt
PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 DEGREES
How to Make Cathie's Toasted Pecan Chicken Salad
- Place pecans into preheated 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes. Watch nuts carefully so they don't burn. You want them brown and toasty to bring out the nutty flavor. Let cool.
- Boil chicken in large pot of salted water until completely cooked. It will take about 30 minutes. Let cool. Remove bones and skin from chicken and cut into small chunks or shred chicken.
- In a large bowl, add salt, pepper, cooled pecans and mayonnaise. Mix well. I call this my paste. (I don't know why just do) Slowly add cooled chicken mixing well into paste. If it seems too dry, may add more mayonnaise or I add a little cooled chicken stock from where I boiled my chicken. Just enough to make it moist again, but not too soupy or runny. Immediately place in refrigerator until ready to make sandwiches.
- I occasionally add finely chopped celery and onion to give it a little crunchier texture and some added flavor.
- **Note** If you do not like a lot of salt, I would cut the salt back to 1 - 1 1/2 teaspoonfuls. Also, you can play with the amount of mayonnaise you use to make it the consistency to your liking .