Yum Neau Nam Tok (grilled beef salad)
My hubby ate this all the time in a Thai restaurant in North Carolina. When we moved, we tried all sort of Thai restaurants, none came close. Finally, we found a Thai cookbook with one very similar.
1 Tbsprice grains
1 1/2 lbbeef tenderloin
1/4 cfish sauce, more to taste
1/4 clime juice, more to taste
2 stalk(s)lemon grass thinly sliced
1/2 cshallots or red onion, thinly sliced
1english cucumber, thinly sliced
1 bunchgreen onions, thinly sliced
1 bunchfresh cilantro
1 bunchfresh mint leaves
1head of lettuce or cabbage
2 tsphot thai peppers, thinly sliced (or to taste)
How to Make Yum Neau Nam Tok (grilled beef salad)
- Roast the rice in a pan over the stove until light brown and fragrant. Let cool and grind in a mortar or food processor until roughly ground.
- Pick off all the cilantro and mint leaves from the stems. Combine in a bowl with all the ingredients except the beef, lettuce, fish sauce and lime juice.
- Cook beef by grilling, sautéing, or roasting until desired doneness. Slice beef thinly across the grain.
- To serve, combine beef with all the ingredients except the dressing and lettuce. After mixing the ingredients well, add a little dressing at a time to taste.
- Serve over a bed of lettuce or cabbage. (some people like to eat this over rice instead of the lettuce or cabbage)