Roast Beef Salad with Feta
4 lbchuck roast (or your favorite roast)
2 largered onion (one thinly sliced, one quartered)
5 largejalapeno peppers, sliced lengthwise (seeds removed from 3 of them)
5 largegarlic cloves, smashed
1 bunchlettuce, green leaf
1 bunchlettuce, red leaf
2 largetomatoes, cored and sliced
2 largeavacados, ripe and sliced
8 ozfeta cheese, crumbled
1 bottlegood italian dressing (recommend brianna's)
How to Make Roast Beef Salad with Feta
- Liberally season all sides of the roast with salt and pepper and place in a large Dutch oven over high heat. Quickly sear all sides of roast to achieve nice brown crust.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add enough water to to cover the bottom of the pan with about 1 inch of water.
- Add quartered onion, smashed garlic and chopped jalapenos. Cover and simmer for 3-4 hours until roast is very tender. (check water level periodically and add as needed)
- Once the roast is very tender, add beef bullion cubes, lightly mash up vegetables with a fork and simmer for another 30 minutes or so to reduce liquid to one half (i.e. reduce until there is about 1/2 ince of liquid in the bottom of pan)
- Wash and shred lettuce. Divide equally among serving plates.
- Arrange avacado, onion slices and tomoato slices on top of lettuce mixture.
- Once the liquid has reduced, remove from heat and transfer roast to a large bowl. With two forks, shred the beef entirely.
- Place equal portions of shredded beef on top of salad mixture and add crumbled feta cheese.
- Mix 2 parts Italian dressing with 1 part cooking liquid and dress salads with the mixture.
- Serve with warm crusty bread or just plain saltine crackers.