Scrapple "The Real Thing"
How to Make Scrapple "The Real Thing"
- 1Separate one hog's head into halves. Remove eyes and brains.
Scrape head and clean thoroughly.
- 2Place in a large kettle and cover with 4 or 5 quarts of cold water. Simmer gently for 2 to 3 hours or until meat falls from bones.
- 3Skim grease carefully from the surface, remove meat, chop fine, and return to liquor. Season with salt, pepper, and sage to taste.
- 4Sift in cornmeal, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thickened to the consistency of soft mush.
- 5Cook slowly for 1 hour over low heat. When sufficiently cooked, pour into greased pans and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 6Cut into thin slices and fry until crisp and brown.