How to clean Silver/Silverplate without scrubbing
Soooooooo...me being me ( a somewhat mad scientist) I went to my kitchen and VOILA! The recipe follows. Everyone I share it with utilizes it whenever gleaming silver is essential at the dining table. Saves a LOT of time and costs pennies...and so EASY!
By the way, this also works for silver jewelry...my son is a jeweler and he recommends it for plain silver chains, earrings, etc.
- 1/2 gal
- boiling water or enough to immerse object you wish to clean
- 1 c
- baking soda (i find that arm&hammer works best)
- 1 large
- sheet of aluminum foil or enough to cover bottom of glass or plastic bowl/basin in which you will clean the silver item(s)
- 1 large
- plastic basin or glass baking dish to hold the cleaning solution and silver item(s)
How to Make How to clean Silver/Silverplate without scrubbing
- 1Boil the amount of water sufficient to cover items you wish to clean (silverware, silverplate, silver platters,silver bowls or the like).
- 2Tear a piece of aluminum foil to fit the bottom of the cleaning vessel; add the boiling water and baking soda (Decrease amount of water and soda if only using a small amount of water). Stir together briefly.
- 3Immediately submerge your tarnished silver items in the solution, making sure all surfaces are covered with the water . After only a very few minutes you will have beautifully clean and glowing silver!
- 4Remove cleaned items and rinse well with clean warm water. Dry with a soft lint-free kitchen towel. (Now, go put your feet up and read a good book with the time you have saved!)