Homemade Silly Putty (Silly Sludge)
How to Make Homemade Silly Putty (Silly Sludge)
- 1Borax is so easy to find! And it’s cheap. Just look in the laundry section of the store. One box is enough to make about a million batches of Silly Sludge.
To make Silly Sludge, first start by measuring and pouring the glue into a glass bowl. It doesn’t have to be glass, but it will be easier to clean if it is.
- 2Then add a little less than 1/4 cup of water and stir it until it’s mixed up pretty well. The amount of water doesn’t need to be exact at all!
- 3Add in a tiny bit of food coloring. Like even one drop if you can. If you add too much, you may get some on your hands when you play with it. Mix it up until the color is combined.
- 4Set that bowl aside. Now measure out 1/4 cup of hot water and stir in 1/2 teaspoon of Borax. Mix it around until the Borax dissolves. It may not all dissolve, but mostly is okay. The hot water really helps.
- 5Now comes the fun (and educational) part! Pour the Borax mixture into the glue mixture and stir.
- 6Almost immediately, the Borax causes the glue to make a polymer chain (which means, it makes the glue’s molecules stick together). It’s pretty cool!
- 7If all of the water doesn’t absorb into the Silly Sludge, it’s no big deal! Move the Silly Sludge out of the bowl and play with it! The more you play with it, the better it gets. You can store it in a small zip lock bag.