Homemade Pavement Chalk
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 cplaster of paris
·powdered tempera paint
·empty toilet paper rolls
How to Make Homemade Pavement Chalk
- 1) Get your toilet roll and tape one end with masking tape to seal it off. Line the inside of the tube with greaseproof paper.
- 2) Pour the water into your disposable container then sprinkle the plaster on top (generally its a 1:1 ratio but check the instructions on the packet). Start by adding 1 tablespoon of powdered paint to the mixture and give it a good stir. Add more paint if necessary.
- 3) Stand each tube, taped side down, on a level surface. Pour the mixture in the tube and tap lightly to get rid of any air bubbles.
- 4) Once the plaster has set you can remove the toilet roll and greaseproof paper. You will need to allow the chalk to dry fully for a few days before using.
- TIPS: If the toilet roll tube is a little chunky for your taste then you can split the tube, overlap, then tape to reduce the diameter. You can also use different kinds of molds; ice cube trays and silicon muffin trays make good ones and don’t need lining with paper.
- Once you have made your stash of chalk you can do all manner of lovely things:
♥ Play hopscotch
♥ Play bean bag toss
♥ Play noughts and crosses
♥ Draw a brilliant picture
♥ Trace around each others bodies
Remember not to pour Plaster of Paris down the plughole!
Plaster of Paris can get quite hot when setting so make sure little ones are properly supervised.