Mesquite Grilled Steak with Salsa Flameado
Photo: Provided by the National Onion Association
- Oregano Rub:
- 1/4 C. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- Steak and Salsa:
- 2 lg. yellow onions
- 4 boneless beef chuck eye steaks, cut 3/4 to 1-inch thick
- 1 to 2 C. mesquite wood chips, soaked in water 30 minutes
- 4 lg (12 oz..) fresh mild green chiles, stemmed, halved and seeded
- 2 med (1 lb. red bell peppers, stemmed, halved and seeded
- Olive oil
How to Make Mesquite Grilled Steak with Salsa Flameado
- 1Combine rub ingredients in small bowl; set aside.
- 2Skin onions and trim off root end slightly; do not cut into root base.
- 3Turn onions upside down and quarter each onion, leaving some root base on each quarter.
- 4Brush onions, then steaks, with Oregano Rub. When coals have reached medium temperature, sprinkle mesquite chips over coals.
- 5Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 14 to 18 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally.
- 6Grill onions, chiles and bell peppers, lightly brushing with oil and turning occasionally, 10 to 15 minutes or until charred and tender.
- 7Coarsely chop grilled vegetables (about 1-inch pieces).
- 8Serve steaks with grilled vegetables.