Rabbit withDates & Apricots Gratinéed w/Emmantaler
This is a French Canadian recipe that makes great use of game meats and one of Quebec's fine artisanal fromages.
3 ozsoft dates, halved (1/2 cup)
3 ozdried apricots (1/2 cup)
1/2 cwhite wine
1/2 tspfresh thyme
2 mediumrabbits, cut into pieces
1 mediumfrench shallot, chopped
1 cbeef broth
2 Tbspapricot jam
1 cancêtre emmental cheese, grated
·salt & freshly ground pepper
How to Make Rabbit withDates & Apricots Gratinéed w/Emmantaler
- Soak the dates, apricots and thyme in the white white for about 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 160° C (325° F). Dredge the pieces of rabbit in flour. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large cocotte or Dutch oven, brown the rabbit pieces in butter. Add the shallot and continue cooking for several minutes.
- Add the broth and the mixture of dates, apricots and white wine. Cook for about 1 hour or until the rabbit is cooked.
- Remove the rabbit pieces from the pot and keep warm. Reduce the cooking juices by half, for about 5 minutes. Add the apricot jam and continue cooking for about 5 minutes longer until thickened.
- Return the rabbit pieces to the pot. Sprinkle with cheese; place under the broiler for about 2-3 minutes until the cheese is browned and bubbly.
- Serve with green and yellow beans sautéed in butter.