Herbs de Provence Butterflied Game Hen
1cornish game hen (butterflied)
1/2 stickbutter, softened
1/4 cherbes de provence
·zest from 1 lemon
·juice from 1 lemon
3/4 lbheirloom baby potatoes (i like the tri-colored)
12 ozpackage of heirloom (or rainbow) baby carrots
·salt and pepper, to taste
1 Tbspolive oil
How to Make Herbs de Provence Butterflied Game Hen
- Mix the softened butter with the herbs de provence, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl toss the potatoes and carrots with the olive oil and salt and pepper. Set aside.
- To butterfly the game hen: place on cutting board breast side down. Using poultry shears, cut just to the right of the spine. Then cut on the left of the spine, removing it. Turn hen over and spread out, pressing on the breast bone to flatten.
- Gently loosen the skin from the hen at the breast and thighs. Stuff the herb butter mix under the skin, using about half of it. Liberally salt and pepper hen.
- In a large cast iron (or oven safe pan) melt half the remaining butter until almost smoking (don't burn it). Place game hen breast side down and sear for at least two minutes.
- Turn hen over and surround with potatoes and carrots, and dot hen with remaining butter. Place in a 475 degree oven and roast for 45 minutes to an hour, or until internal temperature is 165 degrees basting occasionally with pan juices.
- Allow to rest 10 minutes. Place hen on cutting board breast side up and cut hen in half down the breast bone. Serve with potatoes and carrots.