Turkey Salsa Mac
My husband and I like spicy food, so this hit the spot. The hot salsa was perfect.
Part of this recipe was adapted from a Rick Bayless recipe - Salsa Mac & Cheese.
- 3 c
- macaroni or pasta of your choice
- 2 Tbsp
- vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 lb
- ground turkey
- 2 pkg
- taco seasoning mix
- 1 1/2 c
- 2 Tbsp
- 1/4 c
- all purpose flour
- 2 c
- 16 oz
- hot salsa (or heat of your choice)
- 4 c
- 4 cheese mexican blend, shredded
How to Make Turkey Salsa Mac
- 1Cook pasta
- 2While pasta is cooking, put vegetable oil in skilled and brown ground turkey. When turkey is browned, mix in taco seasoning then add water. Simmer for 10 minutes
- 3While turkey mixture is simmering make a sauce: melt butter in medium sauce pan over medium heat. Stir in flour and whisk until mixture turns golden brown (about 2 minutes). Add milk, continue to whisk constantly until mixture comes to full boil (about 4-5 minutes). Mixture will thicken.
- 4Stir salsa into the sauce, mix thoroughly, remove from heat. Combine pasta and salsa mixture; then mix with ground turkey.
- 5Spread half of meat mixture in a 3 quart baking dish, add salt if necessary. Spread half of cheese over meat mixture. Repeat with remaining meat and cheese.
- 6Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.