3 cdiced celery
1 largediced onion (sweet or vidalia)
1 (4oz) boxwild rice. (do not use the kind with white or brown rice mixed in.)
1 lbroll of sage sausage
1 lbroll of hot sausage
3 boxturkey stuffing mix: stove top or store brand. or about 18oz. seasoned dried bread cubes.
1 cwater for sausage cooking
4 1/2 cliquid (***see below***)
How to Make TURKEY DRESSING
- Cook wild rice according to box directions for about 1 hour.
- While wild rice is cooking, crumble both sausage rolls into a large pot and cook with a cup of water to soften and mash. Cook thoroughly, but NOT to browned or crispy stage.
- When sausage is nearly cooked, add diced onion and celery and continue cooking with sausage until onion is clear and celery is soft.
- Add the 3 sticks of margerine.
- Add cooked wild rice and any liquid left in the rice, and stir well.
- NOW ***Either estimate the amount of liquid you end up with from cooking sausage and rice mixture, or drain, save, and measure liquid and set aside. You will need 4 1/2 cups total liquid. You may add some of the juice from your turkey as part of the liquid(best)or just add chicken stock or plain water.***
- Add the liquid back to your sausage mixture, bring to a boil again, and remove from stove.
- Add seasoned bread cubes to sausage and toss well.
- Spray large baking dish with cooking spray to make removing easier and add dressing mixture. (I like to use those disposable aluminum oven pans you can buy at the supermarket.)
- Brown top of dressing in 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes and serve hot with your turkey.
- NOTE: This recipe makes a lot of stuffing for a large group of 15 or so. I have never tried to cut it down, but I'm sure it can be done at least into thirds. You can also freeze any leftovers.