TOPSY TURVY TURKEY
22 1/2 lbturkey
1 stickbutter, softened
1 tspthyme leaves, fresh
1 tspsage leaves, fresh
1 tsprosemary sprigs
1 tspgarlic (optional)
2 Tbspcoarse salt
1 tsppoultry seasoning
·(optional) 3 carrots, 3 celery stocks, 1 onion, 6 garlic cloves
·prepared stuffing-your favorite family recipe
How to Make TOPSY TURVY TURKEY
- Preheat the oven 325:
Grind the 3-4 fresh spice ingredients or use your own favorites to mix with the softened butter. loosen the skin and push butter mixture all under the loosened skin. Rub the outside of the turkey with any remaining butter mixture.
- Mix a basic spice rub together: salt, pepper and poultry seasoning and sprinkle mixture inside and outside of the bird, then stuff the bird with your favorite dressing and truss the opening securly as possible so nothing falls out. Tuck the wings under to protect them from burning.
- Place the bird "BREAST SIDE DOWN" on an inverted roasting rack. Adding chopped onion, garlic, carrot and celery to the roasting pan adds great flavor to the bird and drippings for tasty gravy.
- Add water mixed with a small amount of white wine, apple or cranberry juice to the pan keeping it from drying out. Tent the bird with foil when it starts to brown and remove the foil the last 40 minutes of roasting time.
- Follow a basic roasting time table or use a thermometer the inner thigh temp should reach 165F. If stuffed, the center of the stuffing should also be 165F
- Flip the Turkey breast side up onto a cutting board and let it rest for 20 minutes before carving. While the turkey rests, make your gravy; add the pan drippings and roasted vegetables to your stock pot and simmer for at least 15 minutes and then strain and thicken your turkey stock with a rue mixture.