The very best Thanksgiving turkey
How to Make The very best Thanksgiving turkey
- Rise turkey and remove giblets, pat dry and set aside.
- Mix together poultry seasoning, oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder (make sure it's the POWDER and not granulated). Using a flavor injector inject the mixture all around the turkey. Under each breast skin place the rings of 1/2 small onion.
- Place turkey, uncovered, in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove. Reduce temperature to 325.
- Take uncooked bacon and lay over entire turkey, overlapping each slice. For a better presentation cross-hatch the bacon.
- Cover with foil and cook for 15 minutes/pound. Subtract the 1st 30 from cooking time. (a 20 pound turkey will take 5 hours, minus the 30 from step 3 = 4.5 hours). Baste turkey every 20-30 minutes. Remove foil when there is 20 minutes remaining.
- Let bird rest for 20-30 minutes before carving!
**NOTE: If cooking the bird with stuffing cook for 20 minutes/pound instead of 15.