STUFFED ZUCCHINI "BOATS"
Feel free to use normal sized zucchini, you may need to cut the recipe in half.
- 4-5 large
- zucchini squash 8-11" length or 1 mammoth sized
- 16-20 oz
- turkey italian sausage
- 8 oz
- 1/2 large
- onion (1c)
- 2-3 large
- garlic cloves
- 1/2 c
- fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 large
- red bell pepper-roasted
- 1/2-1 tsp
- crushed red pepper (optional if you like it spicy)
- 1 c
- dry bread crumbs italian seasoned divided into 3/4c and 1/4c
- 1/2 c
- parmesan cheese divided into (2) 1/4c portions
- 2 large
- eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp
- black pepper, fresh ground if possible
How to Make STUFFED ZUCCHINI "BOATS"
- 3PREPARE STUFFING:
Remove Italian Turkey Sausage from casings and brown in a dutch oven over med high heat.
Add the onion and garlic once the sausage gets cooking.
When the sausage is cooked add the crushed red pepper if using, the mushrooms, zucchini flesh, and roasted pepper. Continue cooking for 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in the parsley and black pepper.
Place in a strainer or collander.
Place stuffing back in pot and allow to cool 10-15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 at this time.
- 4Stir beaten eggs into the stuffing mixture, then sprinkle on bread crumbs and parmesan, and stir to combine.
- 5FILL AND TOP YOUR BOATS:
Place boats on a baking sheet, and fill with the stuffing mixture, rounding the tops if there is sufficient filling.
Mix remaining 1/4c breadcrumbs with 1/4c parmesan and 2TB olive oil.
Sprinkle evenly over the stuffing.
Bake @ 350 for 30-40 minutes until tops are golden and zucchini boat is tender when pierced with the tip of a knife.
Allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving.