Stuffed Turkey Breast and Squash Side Dish
This meal will be great with a side of wild rice pilaf and maybe lemon green peas. With a Shaker lemon pie for dessert.
Now I don't know If I can wait that long- might have to try sooner. LOL
- 1 Tbsp
- unsalted butter or smart balance, softened
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- chopped garlic
- 6 c
- thinly sliced leeks(white and light green parts only)
- 1 lb
- mixed mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 c
- fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/2 c
- grated pecorino romano cheese
- 2 tsp
- each -parsley, rosemary sage, thyme, all chopped
- 1/2 tsp
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp
- butter or smart balance, softened
- 1 tsp
- each parsley, rosemary, sage and thyme
- 2 1/2 lb
- boneless turkey breast, butterflied
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 large
- acorn squash or any winter squash of your choice
- 3/4 c
How to Make Stuffed Turkey Breast and Squash Side Dish
Melt butter in a large, deep sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook. stirring constantly, for 10 seconds. Add leeks and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until softened and liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in breadcrumbs,cheeses, parsley, rosemary, sage, thyme salt and pepper. When cooled, set aside 4 cups of the stuffing for the squash. The remainder will be used to stuff the turkey.
- 3Turkey Prep:
Arrange turkey breast skin-side down on flat surface.Cover with plastic wrap, then pound lightly with a meat mallet to flatten and make an even thickness all over. Season turkey all over with salt and pepper. Spread the stuffing reserved for the turkey over the meat, leaving a 3/4-inch border around edge.
- 4Close up tightly, tucking in the stuffing as your go, then tie with twine at 1-inch intervals around entire turkey breast.
Rub turkey all over with the herb butter. Place turkey in small roasting pan. Roast uncovered in 350^ , basting occasionally until temperature of internal is 165^ about 1 1/2 hours. Cover with foil if it starts to brown too quickly.