Spicy Turkey Roast (oven version)
Rev BJ Friley
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- frozen whole boneless turkey, 4 lbs., thawed as package directs
- 8 to 10 large
- cloves garlic
- 3 Tbsp
- 1 tsp
- 1 Tbsp
- black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1 tsp
- kosher style salt, coarse
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil
- rosemary sprigs, for garnish
- red pepper, for garnish
How to Make Spicy Turkey Roast (oven version)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Remove mesh from the turkey.
- 3Lay turkey our as flat as possible on a cutting board, placing the skin side down.
- 4Combine the garlic, rosemary, pepper and salt in the work bowl of the food processor with the steel blade in place, or in blender.
- 5Turn motor on.
- 6Add the oil, processing until coarsely chopped.
- 7Spread half the garlic mixture over the inside of the turkey.
- 8Reroll the turkey.
- 9Tie firmly with string every two inches to return the meat to its original log shape.
- 10Spread evenly with the remaining garlic mixture.
- 11Place on rack in roasting pan.
- 12Roast at 350 degrees F for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until a meat thermometer inserted in the center registers 170 degrees F. A long log shape takes less time than a more compact roast.
- 13Remove from oven.
- 14Let stand 20 minutes before removing string.
- 15Cut thin slices to serve.
- 16Garnish with rosemary and red pepper.
- 17Scrape up cooking juices from bottom of pan.
- 18Spoon over meat, or thicken with flour and add chicken broth for a gravy, if desired.