Spicy Turkey Roast (oven version)
Rev BJ Friley
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1frozen whole boneless turkey, 4 lbs., thawed as package directs
8 to 10 largecloves garlic
1 Tbspblack pepper, coarsely ground
1 tspkosher style salt, coarse
2 Tbspolive oil
·rosemary sprigs, for garnish
·red pepper, for garnish
How to Make Spicy Turkey Roast (oven version)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove mesh from the turkey.
- Lay turkey our as flat as possible on a cutting board, placing the skin side down.
- Combine the garlic, rosemary, pepper and salt in the work bowl of the food processor with the steel blade in place, or in blender.
- Turn motor on.
- Add the oil, processing until coarsely chopped.
- Spread half the garlic mixture over the inside of the turkey.
- Reroll the turkey.
- Tie firmly with string every two inches to return the meat to its original log shape.
- Spread evenly with the remaining garlic mixture.
- Place on rack in roasting pan.
- Roast at 350 degrees F for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until a meat thermometer inserted in the center registers 170 degrees F. A long log shape takes less time than a more compact roast.
- Remove from oven.
- Let stand 20 minutes before removing string.
- Cut thin slices to serve.
- Garnish with rosemary and red pepper.
- Scrape up cooking juices from bottom of pan.
- Spoon over meat, or thicken with flour and add chicken broth for a gravy, if desired.