Loaded Tailgater Hot-Blue Turkey Burgers
Blue Ribbon Recipe
Healthy AND delicious! This burger isn't as solid as a traditional burger, so using a pita to hold it all together is a great idea. The dip really makes the dish. Serve it with the burger... then make some more to dip veggies in! The Test Kitchen
- 1.2 lb
- ground turkey
- 2 Tbsp
- jerk seasoning
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced
- 15 oz
- can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 10 oz
- can diced tomatoes & green chilies
- 3 Tbsp
- olive oil, extra virgin, divided
- 1 large
- sweet red bell pepper, cut into strips and halved
- 1 medium
- sweet yellow onion, halved and sliced
- 2 Tbsp
- balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch
- kosher salt
- 1 1/2 c
- low fat blue cheese dressing (i used wishbone)
- 2 tsp
- hot sauce
- 1 tsp
- celery seed
- 1/2 bunch
- cilantro leaves, chopped
- 3 large
- pita rounds, cut in half
- celery stalks, cleaned & cut in half
- bag baby carrots, cleaned
How to Make Loaded Tailgater Hot-Blue Turkey Burgers
- 1Drain tomatoes over a small bowl and reserve the drained liquid and place tomatoes into a medium-sized bowl. Rinse and drain black beans, mash and place into bowl with tomatoes. Add the ground turkey and jerk seasoning and mix gently but thoroughly with hands, cover and set aside.
- 2Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high and add 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil. When hot, add the pepper and onion strips, balsamic vinegar and a pinch of kosher salt. Reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Put into the bowl with reserved tomato liquid.
- 3In a small bowl, mix the dressing, hot sauce and celery seed. Mix in the cilantro and refrigerate until needed.
- 4Divide meat into 6 equal portions and shape each portion into an oblong patty and place on waxed paper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the non-stick skillet over medium-high and when hot, add 3 patties and cook for 4 minutes on each side. Remove to a plate and repeat with remaining 3 patties.
- 5To assemble, cut fresh Pita rounds in half and put one patty in each. Using tongs, put equal amounts of onion mix over the patties and spoon the Hot-Blue sauce into the Pitas.