How to Cook a Turkey Schmidt Style
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 2 box
- stove top cornbread stuffing mix ( i know. you are like scandalized that i don't make homemade stuffing. but here is the truth...i like cornbread stuffing & it gets soggy gluey when i make it from scratch. can't beat stove top!)
- 2 Tbsp
- penzey's mural of flavor seasoning
- 1 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1/2 c
- 2 can(s)
- chicken broth, low salt
How to Make How to Cook a Turkey Schmidt Style
- 11.Wash and prepare turkey for cooking and stuffing. We make the stuffing in the microwave and set it aside to cool so you aren't putting hot stuffing in a cold turkey (Very Important step).
- 22. Take about a half cup or so of olive oil and stir in 2 tablespoons of the Mural of Flavor, the garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper. Let that sit so the oil takes on the flavors of the seasonings (we even do this step the night before sometimes).
- 33. Use your fingers and/or a spoon to separate the skin from the turkey breasts and legs without ripping the skin. At this point you should be singing songs to your turkey or at least talking to the poor thing, you want the turkey to be in a good mood so you have a good dinner. Once you've loosened the skin, using your fingers scoop the olive oil and seasoning combo up under the skin and spread it around. Use any left over oil on the outside of the bird and to season the cavity.
- 44. Stuff bird with stuffing. Cover with foil. Pour chicken broth in pan with the turkey. Bake at 350* for 1 hour, then turn the oven down to 250* for about 5 hours or so until it is done and very tender. During the last bit of baking take the foil off so the skin browns nicely.
- 55. Check on bird periodically while cooking and don't forget to baste and sing to your bird. It's very important. You should ask Kaila Herin for turkey songs, she makes up some good ones.