Golden Roast Turkey
Wheather you do the old-fashioned or a new-twist. It all builds on the basic recipe.
How to Make Golden Roast Turkey
- Remove giblets and neck from turkey; wash, and set aside. Wash turkey thoroughly inside and out.
- Pat dry with towels.
- Remove any excess fat.
- Prepare your choice of dressing.
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Spoon some of dressing into neck cavity of turkey.
- Bring skin of neck over back; fasten with poultry pin.
- Spoon remaining dressing into body cavity; do not pack.
- Insert 4 or 5 poultry pins at regular intervals.
- Lace cavity closed with twine, bootlace fashion and then tie.
- Bend wing tips under body, or fasten to body with poultry pins.
- Tie ends of legs together.
- Insert meat thermometer in inside of thigh at thickest part.
- Place turkey on rack in shallow roasting pan.
- Brush with some butter; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast uncovered and brushing occasionally with remaining butter and pan drippings; about 4 hours, or until meat thermometer registers 185.
- Leg joint should move freely.
- When turkey begins to turn golden, cover with a square of butter-soaked cheesecloth or a loose tent of foil, to prevent burning.
- While turkey roasts, cook giblets and neck.
- Place turkey on heated serving platter.
- Remove cheesecloth or foil, twine, and poultry pins.
- Let stand 20 to 30 minutes before carving.
- Make gravy.
- Notes: Approximate baking time is 18 minutes per pound.