Golden Roast Turkey
Wheather you do the old-fashioned or a new-twist. It all builds on the basic recipe.
- 16 lb
- 1 c
- butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
How to Make Golden Roast Turkey
- 1Remove giblets and neck from turkey; wash, and set aside. Wash turkey thoroughly inside and out.
- 2Pat dry with towels.
- 3Remove any excess fat.
- 4Prepare your choice of dressing.
- 5Preheat oven to 325.
- 6Spoon some of dressing into neck cavity of turkey.
- 7Bring skin of neck over back; fasten with poultry pin.
- 8Spoon remaining dressing into body cavity; do not pack.
- 9Insert 4 or 5 poultry pins at regular intervals.
- 10Lace cavity closed with twine, bootlace fashion and then tie.
- 11Bend wing tips under body, or fasten to body with poultry pins.
- 12Tie ends of legs together.
- 13Insert meat thermometer in inside of thigh at thickest part.
- 14Place turkey on rack in shallow roasting pan.
- 15Brush with some butter; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 16Roast uncovered and brushing occasionally with remaining butter and pan drippings; about 4 hours, or until meat thermometer registers 185.
- 17Leg joint should move freely.
- 18When turkey begins to turn golden, cover with a square of butter-soaked cheesecloth or a loose tent of foil, to prevent burning.
- 19While turkey roasts, cook giblets and neck.
- 20Place turkey on heated serving platter.
- 21Remove cheesecloth or foil, twine, and poultry pins.
- 22Let stand 20 to 30 minutes before carving.
- 23Make gravy.
- 24Notes: Approximate baking time is 18 minutes per pound.