Day After Thanksgiving Turkey Casserole
Blue Ribbon Recipe
All the comfort of a traditional shepherd's pie with the vibrant flavors of Thanksgiving dinner! This is one of our favorite ways to spreading the joy of the holiday meal into the entire week. (Heck, it's great ANY time of the year!) The Test Kitchen
- 2 c
- turkey, cubed, leftover from Thanksgiving
- 1 c
- carrots, diced
- 1 medium
- onion, diced
- 8 oz
- mushrooms, sliced
- 1 c
- celery, diced
- 2 Tbsp
- butter, unsalted
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 tsp
- thyme, dried
- leftover mashed potatoes from Thanksgiving
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp
- butter, unsalted for dotting top
- paprika, sweet mild, to taste
How to Make Day After Thanksgiving Turkey Casserole
- 1Saute vegetables in butter and olive oil until tender but not brown. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and thyme. Stir in cooked, cubed turkey.
- 2Place in a casserole dish and top with mashed potatoes. Dot with butter and sprinkle with paprika.
- 3Bake, uncovered, 350° for 20-30 minutes until the potatoes are browned and casserole is heated through.
- 4If you have leftover sweet potatoes they are great mixed with the mashed potatoes and spread over the top.