Make sure the scallops are dry when you sear them.
The scallops and shrimp are so flavorful,plain couscous is great with this,I like to cook the couscous in chicken,vegetable or shrimp broth.
I usually buy shell on shrimp and make a quick broth by washing the shells,cover with water and clam juice,1/2 onion,a squeeze of anchovy paste,garlic clove and simmer for 20 mins.You can use this broth for the couscous and the seafood.
- 1/4 c butter,divided
- 2 t olive oil
- 1 lb large sea scallops,seasoned w/salt & pepper
- 1 lb large shrimp,shelled,deveined ,seasoned w/salt & pepper
- 2 t. finely chopped shallots
- 4 t. finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 c clam juice or shrimp stock
- salt and pepper
- 1 t. finely chopped parsley
- cooked couscous or vegetable couscous (see my recipe for vegetable couscous)
How to Make Seafood Couscous
- 1Heat 1 tablespoon butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, sear scallops, turning once, until golden brown and just cooked through, about 5 minutes total. Transfer to a platter. If butter is burned,wipe out same skillet and heat over medium-high heat 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil,sauce shrimps 2-3 minutes.Transfer to a platter with scallopsIn same skillet,add shallot, garlic and clam juice to skillet and boil, scraping up brown bits, until reduced by half. Add juices from platter. Reduce heat to low and add remaining butter and swirl until sauce has a creamy consistency. Stir in parsley,taste for seasoning. Place vegetable or plain couscous on platter,add scallops and shrimp.Pour sauce over seafood.