Scallops With Cream and Basil
It's great with Basmati rice.
- 6 Tbsp
- 24 oz
- sea scallops (or 4 to 5 per person)
- sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 c
- chopped shallots
- 1 tsp
- slivered garlic
- 1 pinch
- red pepper flakes
- 1/2 c
- dry white white
- 3/4 c
- heavy cream
- basil leaves, cut into thin ribbons
How to Make Scallops With Cream and Basil
- 1Put 4 tablespoons butter in non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. When foam subsides, add scallops; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brown on both sides, adjusting heat so they brown nicely; they need not cook through. Remove them to a plate.
- 2Turn off heat, cool pan a bit and wipe out. Add remaining butter over medium heat. When it melts, add shallots, garlic, chili flakes and a little more salt and pepper. Cook about 2 minutes, or until shallots soften.
- 3Add wine, raise heat a bit, and let bubble away for a minute or so until reduced by about half; add cream and repeat. When liquid is thick, return scallops and juices to pan.
- 4Cook for about a minute, stirring in half the basil, until scallops are just firm. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- 5Arrange 4 to 5 scallops on individual serving plates, and spoon a bit of the pan sauce over each scallop serving. Garnish with remaining basil, and serve immediately.