Miso-Glazed Grilled Sea Scallops
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
2 Tbspmirin (or sake)
1 to 2 dash(es)sesame oil
1 tspblack pepper
1 1/2 lbsea scallops (about 20 to 24 total)
·vegetable oil, for grilling
3 Tbspsesame seeds
1scallion or green onion, sliced (for garnish)
How to Make Miso-Glazed Grilled Sea Scallops
- Heat a charcoal or gas grill until very hot. Rub the grill grate with a little vegetable oil, and position grill 3 or 4 inches from the heat.
- In a bowl, whisk together miso, mirin (or sake), sesame oil, and pepper.
- Thread the scallops (through their equators) onto metal or soaked-wooden skewers. Brush scallops lightly with vegetable oil, and grill until they’re brown on the bottom and release easily from the grill, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Turn and brown for 1 to 2 minutes on the other side; total cooking time should be 3 to 5 minutes.
- When they’re almost done, brush on both sides with the miso mixture, and continue to cook, turning once or twice, until the glaze caramelizes a bit and the scallops are done; take the scallops off the grill before the interior becomes totally opaque.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds and green onion slices on each serving, and serve immediately.