Honey Walnut Shrimp
1 cwhole, shelled walnuts
1 lbraw large, raw shrimp, shelled, deveined and tails removed
2-3 cpeanut oil for frying
2 Tbspsweetened , condensed milk
1/2 Tbsplemon juice
How to Make Honey Walnut Shrimp
- Coarsely chop the walnuts. Don't make the pieces too small.
- Heat butter in a small saucepan on medium-low heat until melted.
- Add the walnuts and stir until they are completely coated with butter.
- Once they are coated, turn the heat up to high and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Turn the heat back down to medium and sprinkle with the 2 T sugar while stirring to coat each walnut.
- Cook for another 2 minutes stirring constantly. After 2 minutes, turn off the heat and set walnuts aside to cool.
- In a large cup, mix together all the ingredients for the sauce. Set the mixture aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the batter.
- Once the batter is thoroughly mixed, add the shrimp and stir to coat each piece.
- Leave the shrimp in the batter.until they are ready to go in the hot oil.
- In a skillet, heat the oil on high
- Once the oil is hot add the shrimp one at a time directly from the batter into the oil. Make sure to let the excess batter drip off before placing in the oil.
- Cook 8-10 shrimp at a time so that the skillet is not crowded.
- Cook the shrimp 2-3 minutes or until they are a light golden brown.
- Remove them with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Continue cooking in batches until all the shrimp is cooked.
- Once all the shrimp is done, place in a large bowl. Add the walnuts and sauce and toss to coat.
- You can add 1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes if you like. Just add to the bowl for the final step.