This is a delicious recipe from the state of Oregon. Did you know the hazelnut is Oregon's official state nut? And of course, with Oregon being along the coast of the Pacific Ocean, fresh scallops are always available in abundant qualities. For this recipe, it's makes a much nicer presentation if you use the larger sea scallops rather than the smaller bay scallops.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 (8-oz) pkgangel hair pasta
5 Tbspunsalted butter, divided
3/4 cupdry white wine
1/2 cuplight cream
2 tspfresh thyme (or 1 generous pinch dried thyme leaves)
1 pinchsea salt
1/2 tspblack pepper
1/4 tspground nutmeg
2 lbsea scallops
1/2 cupplain breadcrumbs
1/2 cupfinely chopped hazelnuts
4 sprig(s)fresh thyme, for garnish
How to Make Hazelnut-Crusted Scallops
- Cook pasta according to package directions, and drain well.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a cast-iron or oven-proof skillet. Stir in wine, cream, thyme, sea salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Add scallops to skillet, and turn a few times to coat thoroughly in the cream sauce. Remove skillet from heat.
- Melt remaining 2 Tbsp butter in microwave oven. Stir breadcrumbs and chopped hazelnuts into the melted butter. Sprinkle the nutty breadcrumb mixture over the scallops.
- Place skillet in oven, and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the top is bubbly and starting to brown.
- To serve, divide pasta among 4 individual serving plates. Arrange scallops on top of pasta, garnish each with a sprig of thyme, and serve immediately.