Crispy Shrimp Tempura
Daily Inspiration S
1 cice cold sparkling water
1/8 tspbaking soda
1/2 tspkosher salt
3/4 crice flour (or all-purpose flour)
·peanut or canola oil for frying
How to Make Crispy Shrimp Tempura
- Heat oil to 370 degrees in a deep fryer. Salt the shrimp and set it aside.
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- When the oil is hot (and not before), whisk the egg yolk and the sparkling water together. Mix into dry ingredients.
- Rapidly dip the shrimp into the thin batter - the consistency should be like melted ice cream -- shake off the excess and drop it into the oil. Do this in batches so the oil temperature does not drop too far. Do not overcrowd the pot.
- Fry 2-4 minutes, depending upon the size of the shrimp until golden brown. Remove shrimp and allow to drain on paper towels. Repeat batches.
- Serve with a dipping sauce of just a squeeze of lemon or lime.