Crispy Shrimp Tempura
Daily Inspiration S
- 1 lb
- egg yolk
- 1 c
- ice cold sparkling water
- 1/8 tsp
- baking soda
- 1/2 tsp
- kosher salt
- 1/4 c
- 3/4 c
- rice flour (or all-purpose flour)
- peanut or canola oil for frying
How to Make Crispy Shrimp Tempura
- 1Heat oil to 370 degrees in a deep fryer. Salt the shrimp and set it aside.
- 2Mix dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- 3When the oil is hot (and not before), whisk the egg yolk and the sparkling water together. Mix into dry ingredients.
- 4Rapidly dip the shrimp into the thin batter - the consistency should be like melted ice cream -- shake off the excess and drop it into the oil. Do this in batches so the oil temperature does not drop too far. Do not overcrowd the pot.
- 5Fry 2-4 minutes, depending upon the size of the shrimp until golden brown. Remove shrimp and allow to drain on paper towels. Repeat batches.
- 6Serve with a dipping sauce of just a squeeze of lemon or lime.