Ring Around the Dog
- 1 box
- tempura batter mix, reserve a portion for dusting. (available in the oriental section of the grocery store)
- all beef hot dogs
- 3 large
- sweet onions
- high quality bakery made hot dog buns
- cooking oil
- wooden skewers
- 1 c
- fresh pineapple, chopped
- 1/2 c
- dijon mustard
- 1/4 c
- sriracha hot chili sauce
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 tsp
- lime juice
- kosher salt
PINEAPPLE - SRIRACHA MUSTARD
How to Make Ring Around the Dog
- 1Prepare the Tempura batter according to the instructions on the box.
- 2Peel onion and cut crosswise into ½ inch thick slices. Separate into rings. Make one cut on each ring so as to make a one long strip. Intertwine 2 or 3 rings around each hot dog. You can secure the onion rings with toothpicks. (save left over onion for later) Insert a wooden skewer into the end of each hot dog.
- 3Heat the cooking oil to 375 degrees F in either a deep fryer or wok, making sure there is enough oil to cover the hot dogs.
- 4Dust each hot dog with some of the reserved dry Tempura mix as this will help the batter adhere better. Holding the skewer, dip each hot dog in the prepared Tempura batter one at a time. Let excess batter drip off then gently lower them 1 or 2 at a time into the hot oil. Do not crowd. When the batter turns a light crispy brown, about 3 minutes, remove the hot dogs and place on paper towels to drain.
- 5Place the hot dogs in the buns, remove the skewers and top with the pineapple - sriracha mustard.
- 6Combine the Dijon mustard, Sriracha sauce, honey and lime juice in a medium size bowl. Stir well to combine. Add mixture along with the chopped pineapple and any remaining onion to a food processor. Pulse until pineapple has a roughly diced consistency.