Newfangled Cuban Sandwich
1loaf cuban bread or french bread (1-lb. loaf)
6 Tbspyellow mustard
9 sliceswiss cheese
3dill pickles, thinly sliced lengthwise
3ham steaks (1/4" thick)
6 oz pkggrilled chicken strips
·red onion (3 thinly sliced rings)
·green bell pepper (6 thinly sliced rings)
·basil flavored olive oil
·baby spinach (12 leaves)
How to Make Newfangled Cuban Sandwich
- Preheat panini press to medium heat. If you don't have a press, you can use a griddle or skillet and press down sandwich with a heavy cast iron pan.
- Slice bread loaf into 3 equal pieces. Split each piece in half horizontally. Lay bread pieces, open side up, onto a cutting board.
- Spread top and bottom halves with approximately 2 Tablespoons yellow mustard per sandwich. Layer swiss cheese over mustard on both the top and bottom halves, using 3 slices total per sandwich.
- On bottom half only, layer the pickles, ham steak, chicken strips, onion rings, and bell pepper rings. Drizzle a little basil olive oil over bottom half of sandwich. Layer 4 spinach leaves per sandwich over all of the ingredients.
- Close sandwich carefully and gently press down on sandwich with your hand.
- Lightly butter top and bottom of sandwich and put on panini press. Close lid on press and press sandwich with moderate pressure until crisp on both sides and cheese is melted, approximately 10 minutes. Slice in half diagonally and serve.