Melted Appenzell, Emmentaler, Pear, and Cumin
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
From Grilled Cheese by Marlena Spieler.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
8 slicepain au levain, sourdough, or pumpernickel
4 ozemmantaler, thinly sliced
1pear, ripe but firm, unpeeled and very thinly sliced
4 ozappenzell cheese, thinly sliced
·cumin seeds, several pinches
·soft butter or olive oil for spreading on bread
How to Make Melted Appenzell, Emmentaler, Pear, and Cumin
- Arrange 4 slices of the bread on a work surface, then top with a layer of the Emmentaler cheese, then the pear, then some Appenzell cheese, and a sprinkling of cumin seeds.
- Top each sandwich with a second slice of bread and press together firmly to seal.
- Spread the outside of each sandwich lightly with butter.
- Heat a heavy nonstick skillet or sandwich press over medium-high heat.
- Put a weight on the sandwiches.
- Brown, turning once or twice, until the bread is crisp and golden and the cheese has melted.
- Serve right away.