Italian Sausage Meatball Heroes
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
From Bon Appetit May 2007.
- 1 lb
- italian sausages, casings removed
- 24 oz
- purchased fresh marinara sauce, divided
- 1/2 c
- freshly grated parmesan cheese (about 1 1/2 oz)
- 1/3 c
- chopped fresh italian parsley, divided
- 1/3 c
- chopped fresh basil, divided
- pieces french baguette, split horizontally (5- to 6-inches long)
- 1 c
- coarsely grated whole-milk mozzarella cheese, packed
How to Make Italian Sausage Meatball Heroes
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2Mix sausage, 1/2 cup marinara, Parmesan, 2 tablespoons parsley, and 2 tablespoons basil in large bowl. Using wet hands, shape mixture into 8 meatballs.
- 3Bring 2 tablespoons parsley, 2 tablespoons basil, remaining marinara, and meatballs to boil in large skillet. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until meatballs are cooked through, turning often, about 20 minutes.
- 4Place baguette bottoms on baking sheet; spread each with about 2 tablespoons sauce from skillet. Cut meatballs in half in skillet; overlap 4 halves on each baguette bottom. Spoon remaining sauce over meatballs, then sprinkle mozzarella over, dividing equally.
- 5Bake until cheese melts, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining parsley and basil and cover with baguette tops.