POT ROAST with MUSHROOMS & VEGGIES
- 1 c
- dried shitake mushrooms, heaping (see note)
- 1 1/2 c
- boiling water (see note)
- 3 to 4 lb
- beef sirloin tip or chuck roast
- 2 tsp
- montreal steak seasoning
- 1 Tbsp
- vegetable oil
- 2 large
- sweet onions, large diced
- 1/4 tsp
- ground black pepper
- 1/2 to 1 tsp
- jane's crazy mixed-up salt
- 1/4 tsp
- garlic salt
- 1 can(s)
- beefy mushroom soup (the red & white can)
- 1 lb
- baby carrots, whole peeled (or 1/2 parsnips)
- 7-8 medium
- idaho potatoes, peeled
- fresh minced chives for garnish, optional
How to Make POT ROAST with MUSHROOMS & VEGGIES
- 1**Note: Any variety of dried mushrooms may be used. After soaking, reserve liquid. Fresh mushrooms may be used, just omit soaking in boiling water. Canned mushrooms with their juice may be used, although dried or fresh are preferable. Soak mushrooms for minimum of 2 hours or up to overnight (preferred.)
Roast may be made in slow cooker or dutch oven. If you need to be away for at least 8 hours, you may use the low temperature exclusively.
- 3When ready to proceed, use a slotted spoon to remove mushrooms from liquid and place in small bowl. Set aside.
- 5Gather remaining ingredients and prep potatoes and onions. Place liner in slow cooker, if using.
- 6Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil to large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 7While skillet is heating, pat roast dry with paper towels. Sprinkle both sides of roast with 1 teaspoon montreal steak seasoning.
- 8Place in hot skillet and sear both sides for 1 1/2-2 minutes each. Lift roast into 6 to 7 quart slow cooker (or large dutch oven, if preferred, adjusting times and temperatures accordingly.) Set control to high temperature.
- 9(This part is optional, but does add another layer of flavor. Onions may be scattered raw over roast, then add liquid.) Return skillet to burner, lower heat to medium, add chopped onions; saute for approximately 2-3 minutes. Add reserved liquid from mushrooms; stir and scrape the brown bits from bottom of pan; simmer for 1-2 minutes; remove from heat.
- 10Sprinkle roast with pepper, seasoned salt and garlic salt. Empty can of beefy mushroom soup over roast.
- 11Scatter carrots (and parsnips, if using) around edge of roast. Place whole peeled potatoes around edge.