Whole Wheat Italian Sausage Calzones
1loaf frozen whole wheat bread dough, thawed
1 lbitalian sausage, casings removed
1/2 cthinly sliced red or green bell peppers
1/2 cthinly sliced onion
1/2 cpizza sauce
1 cricotta cheese
1/4 cgrated parmesan cheese
1/2 tspgarlic powder
3/4 cshredded mozzarella cheese
How to Make Whole Wheat Italian Sausage Calzones
- Crumble sausage and add to skillet. Add sliced peppers and onions. Brown until meat is done and veggies are starting to get tender. Stir in pizza sauce. Reduce heat to low and cover until ready to use.
- Combine ricotta and parmesan cheeses, egg, garlic powder and basil.
- Divide thawed dough into 4 pieces. Roll each piece into a 6 in. circle.
- Spread each dough round with cheese mixture. Top with sausage mixture and sprinkle with mozzarella. Fold dough over filling and seal edges.
- Bake at 350 for 20-30 min. until golden brown.